STYLE ICON: YLIANA YEPEZ TALKS SUSHI AND SHOES
We recently sat down with our friend and style icon, luxury accessories designer Yliana Yepez to find out how she got her start. Born in Paris, France and raised in Caracas, Venezuela, Yliana’s designs reflect her worldy background, with modern silhouettes made of statement materials. Style favorites, such as Cara Delevingne and Olivia Palermo, have been spotted toting Yliana’s handbags - talk about cool girl cred.
Here, she gives us the low down on designing, growing up in Venezuela and being a mom.
1. What are three words you would use to describe yourself?
Persistent, fun and enthusiastic.
2. What made you want to start designing?
It was all by coincidence. I was finishing my modeling career and wanted to do something different. I had always been intrigued in fashion design. I considered ready to wear but really found my calling in accessories design (sizing in clothing is complicated—no sizes involved with accessories!). I always loved to (over)accessorize and collecting unique pieces. It felt natural for me to begin designing handbags.
3. You’re from Venezuela – has that influenced your designs at all?
I grew up in Venezuela surrounded by ladies who were always very well-dressed. Maybe it was more so my lifestyle and travels than Venezuela per se that molded my design aesthetics but fashion runs in my blood!
4. What are some must-see attractions if you travel to Venezuela?
El Salto Angel, Canaima, and Los Roques beach. it is a MUST SEE.
5. What’s your favorite part about living in NYC?
I love walking down the city streets and observing people with different styles and cultures. I’m also inspired by the cityscape, and you can see that in my collection as well— the black and white raffia and soleil color way was inspired by NYC cabs.
6. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring one person, one item and one type of food, who and what would you bring?
The person would be my husband; the item, my phone and food, sushi for sureeeee.
7. Favorite article of clothing?
I’m not sure if this counts as clothing but shoes!!!!! I love shoes….A good pair of shoes can bring together an outfit just like a good handbag can.
8. Best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
Always be true to yourself.
9. Proudest accomplishment?
Being a mom.